Reide

Reide
Easter pictures 2011

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wean Day 1



December 18, 2010 has been a long awaited day; Reide's tube wean started today.  We started the day like any other....her waking up when I was tubing her some water at 6am and immediately being ready to play! Then we did her 7ish a.m. feed which went great!  (LOVE her blenderized diet!)  Then we went for a starting weigh in at my office.  Reide weighed in at a lovely 20lbs 0oz....she's NEVER weighed anything that started with a "2"!  (Again, LOVE her blenderized diet)

We had her first Play Picnic with Reide's sweet friends Ava, Jackson and Emma who are the kiddo's of my two best friends.  That was a great way to kick off the tube wean.  Amber brought McDonalds pancakes, sausage, eggs, biscuits and hashbrowns for the kiddos and we all sat on the floor and talked and played.  Reide stayed a good distance away from the food fun for quite a while.  She'd come over and visit but mostly kept her distance.  Finally, after about an hour and once most everyone had abandoned the food, Reide went over and had about 1/8 of a breakfast sausage.  Soon after that, I had to tube her 11a meal (lunch) to her and she fiddled with some apple pieces while I did that.

Reide's 2:30p feed was uneventful....tasted some Veggie Straws and drank some water but not much else.

Reide's 6pm feed (dinner) was the first feed nixed.  We chose to go somewhat in reverse (from dinner to breakfast) because her best oral attempt has almost always come at dinner time.  Tonight, she started to get hungry just before 6pm and the dinner I was cooking wasn't done yet, so she was offered a Gerber Graduate meal of chicken/veggie pasta in a creamy sauce with green beans and some Club crackers.  She did some tasting and some eating but kept pulling the decent sized pieces out of her mouth or wiping them off her tongue.  She was pretty ravage about her water cup during dinner though.  After about 25 minutes, she was losing patience so I let her out of her chair.  She played for about an hour then got very, very fussy....crying for no reason and then the crying would escalate to hysterics within about a minute.  Finally, bathtime and then bedtime.  Brock just fed her 10p feed to her, so hopefully a decent nights sleep is on its way.

How did it feel for me?  Let's just say I nearly caved.  Yep, that's right, 2 hours of:  in the highchair, out of the highchair, holding onto my legs and crying, falling on the floor and crying, back in the highchair, crying hysterically in the highchair and throwing all food, utensils, plates and cups onto the floor, then having her smack at my hand as I tried to offer her a bite, back out of the highchair, then oh, yes, into the bath tub......ahhhhhh finally, Daddy's home from work.  Thank GOD for Daddy!!!!  It took both of us two hours to clean up the days dishes, food, cups, meals and everything else.

Tomorrow:  Day 2....she'll lose her 2pm feed along with her 6pm feed.....Oh Lordy....I'm gonna need medicated before this is all over with!

2 comments:

  1. Praying that day 2 goes better than day 1. We haven't tried weaning Allie yet but I have heard it can be a challenging time. Keep up the great work and just imagine the pay off at the end - TUBE FREE!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience - you are helping many tube fed mothers by allowing us to see a glimpse into weaning from the tube.
    I will continue to pray the weaning goes well and that you and Reide can stay sane!!!

    I would like to list your blog on my blog (and vise versa) if you are okay with that. Linking blogs together will help spread awareness of tube fed children!

    Jodi Berndt
    http://alliesabnormalappetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi - list away! I'm ALL about tube awareness! Oh what I could have avoided if I'd known what I know now! The learning curve for tube moms is horrendous! I'm also videoing some feeding sessions and will post that soon, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete